Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board
Provided by The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
About the agency
The CSB is an independent federal agency charged with investigating industrial chemical accidents.
Per the CSB's FOIA Report for 2015, some requests will not be granted if:
- The requested records were properly disposed of prior to the date of the request.
- The request would require the agency to compile or create records solely for the purpose of satisfying that request.
- The requester failed to comply with administrative requirements, e.g., reasonable description of records, agreement to pay fees.
- Records submitted to the CSB by the subjects of agency investigations contain trade secrets and/or confidential commercial or financial information.
- Records of communications between CSB personnel, or between CSB personnel and the personnel of other federal agencies, that are protected by a legal privilege, e.g., deliberative process privilege, attorney-client privilege.
- Records containing private personal information about individuals, including Personally Identifiable Information.
Requester suggestions, tips and guidance
- All FOIA Requests for the CSB must be submitted in writing. The address is included in the agency's FOIA guide.